Behringer Model D as polysynth – a beast to be tamed rather than played




Behringer Model D as polysynth – a beast to be tamed rather than played!

I have a 4 voice setup in my Eurorack system, the main reason for this is that I wanted to be able to used various classic filters like SEM, Moog, MS20, Wasp etc in a poly synth. I’m using MFB oscillators as VCOs. The oscillators have been a little bit problematic even if I bought 5 of them, so that’s why the Behringer Model D (BOOG) was extra interesting. I’m also fond of Moogs and have 3 Model D Minimoogs of different versions, so the opportunity to include the Minimoog sound in a Eurorack was very interesting for me.

And after two weeks I can say that those little BOOG beasts works as expected.

How is it done?

I’m using Vermona QMI as midi to cv interface with 4 channels. This is practical because you get a LED indication for each channel, something the BOOG don’t have. It’s also possible to crete a manual trig for each channel. Another good feature is the switch between poly and mono mode – perfect for tuning. You will need to double the trig signal, so I’m using stackable cables.


Each BOOG is controlled with 3 cables: CV in for oscillators and 2 trig signals for envelopes.


A Doepfer joystick is used for expression purposes, if you don’t have four hands you will need some kind of help. The BOOG have limited control CV inputs but for example you can use joystick X for filter cutoff and joystick Y for LFO speed. Nice! And of course, you will need to multiple the joystick signals to each BOOG.

Start procedure – tuning! The first hour you will need to do some tuning. Start with the first BOOG and use the A440 switch. Then get to the others; one at a time combined with the first one. The main out switch is really useful here.

Parameter changes: Start with the first BOOG as a monosynth. Create you dream sound. Then copy to the others. This is faster than you might think, and according to me not a big problem. One comment might be that the controllers are so small, so it might be hard to get a setting that is exact.

Live use: Mohohoooo… never. Just don’t.

The sound: This is not your everyday polysynth. But omg what I love the sound! I can clearly understand why Moog never made a poly Minimoog. The Memorymoog is different and can be seen as a tamed Minimoog with some additional functions. Much more useful! But if you want those weird, dark, strong sounds, then this is it! No vintage analog poly can do overdrive with feedback. In my case I got what I wanted!


Pros:
True Minimoog sound
Cheap and nice looking
Some additional patch points
Oscillators and ENV:s can be used as Eurorack modules

Cons:
Limited oscillators with no PWM or sync
Tuning takes some time and effort
No LED that indicates which BOOG that is triggered
No resonance CV input
I was not able to get polychain work with midi – but probably lack of effort from my side
Tiny and sensitive controls make tuning and other cv parameter changes problematic


Kommentarer